Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Meet the Dixon Staff - Nora

Name:  Nora Tucker

Position: Librarian

College/University:  University of Tennessee, Knoxville for Library Science. University of Memphis for Museum Studies.

How long have you worked at the Dixon?Fall of 2010

The best thing about living in Memphis is……Friendly people and so many arts.

What famous artist (deceased or living) would you want to be for one day and why?

Annie Leibovitz because she photographs musicians who invite her into their world.

How old were you on your first visit to a museum (art, science history)? How did it shape your interest in museums?

I grew up in a Chicago suburb and took frequent outings to the Art Institute of Chicago and the Field Museum.  I’m sure I had visited both by the time I was in third grade.  The mummies at the Field Museum were mystical beyond belief.  The art in the Art Museum took on different meanings as I grew older.  I’ll never forget turning the corner in the modern art area and seeing Joan Miro’s fanciful shapes dancing on a huge canvas!

Do you have any pets? If so, what are they and what are their names?

Four dogs: Lucy and Hugo are Jack Russell Terriers.  Daisy is a yellow lab mix that looks just like Daisy in the Blondie comic strip.  Ziggy is the cutest dog that ever lived:  a Border Collie Jack Russell or a “Border Jack.”

What is your favorite piece in Jean-Louis Forain: La Comédie parisienne?

The two mosaic pieces.  I’ve never seen mosaics appear so soft and flowing!

What do you like most about working at the Dixon?

I love the time from driving into the “wonderland” atmosphere to the genuinely friendly staff to the visitors that enjoy their experience so much.  I am so pleased to be associated with The Dixon.

No comments:

Post a Comment