Friday, August 26, 2011

Meet the Dixon staff-Jenny


Name:  Jenny M. Duggan

Position:  Visitor Services

College/University: Crichton College (BA, English) and University of Memphis (MA Literature and MFA Creative Writing)

How long have you worked at the Dixon? 11 years


The best thing about living in Memphis is……

The Dixon! And living in Midtown

What famous artist (deceased or living) would you want to be for one day and why?

I would want to be Monet because he lived in 19th century France, and I would like to know how he created his astounding and beautiful visual effects.  If I were a writer in that time period, I would want to be Jane Austen or E.M. Forrester.

How old were you on your first visit to a museum (art, science history)? How did it shape your interest in museums?

I was about 5 or 6. I remember going with my father to the Pink Palace and seeing the mechanical dinosaur and the planetarium. I kept the metal ring with the purple stone in it as a memento for years afterward.  As a child, I loved learning about historical topics and seeing the wax works that depicted them. Because I have always loved art it was just a natural progression for me.

Do you have any pets? If so, what are they and what are their names?

I have a cat named Oya. It means “no” in Swahili. My boyfriend who was learning the language from a coworker named her when she was a kitten, because I would say no to her so often.

What is your favorite piece in Jean-Louis Forain: La Comédie parisienne?

My favorite piece in the show is The Buffet. I love the way Forain shows people in their typical element with the intrigues and storylines taking place behind the scenes.

What do you like most about working at the Dixon?

I love that Margaret and Hugo Dixon decided to give Memphis this beautiful gift.  I also love talking to people and witnessing their lives being enriched by wonderful exhibitions and the beauty of the gardens.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment