Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Meet the Dixon staff - Margarita


Name: Margarita Maria Sandino Garcés

Position: Curator of education

College/University: Los Andes University- Bogotá, Colombia

How long have you worked at the Dixon? Three years and nine months


The best thing about living in Memphis is: No traffic! Compared to Bogotá, a city of  7.3 million people, the streets of Memphis seem empty at times.

What famous artist (deceased or living) would you want to be for one day and why? It would definitely be a woman, and my favorite of all times is Berthe Morisot. Imagine being an artist, impressionist non the less, changing the art world and hanging out with talented and interesting people like Edouard Manet and Edgar Degas.

How old were you on your first visit to a museum (art, science history)? How did it shape your interest in museums?

I was five years old and went to the National Museum of Colombia. A place that holds archaeology, ethnography, history and art collections. My mother took me to see the pre-columbian mummies. She thought it would be a good idea to reveal that they were that way because they didn’t eat their lunches and dinners (I wasn’t a good eater back then). I was scared, but mostly fascinated! I will never forget that feeling of amazement. It may not be a coincidence that years later I became and anthropologist and worked at the National Museum alongside my lifetime friends, the mummies.

Do you have any pets? If so, what are they and what are their names?

We have a female cat, maybe 12 years old. Her name is Frankenstein.

What is your favorite piece in Jean-Louis Forain: La Comédie parisienne?

I have a favorite in each gallery, but if I have to choose one it would be Forain’s design of The Secrets at the Ball. I really like the colors, the woman’s dress and I love secrets!

What do you like most about working at the Dixon?

The place is absolutely gorgeous! And I get to work with very unique people.

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment