Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Meet the Dixon staff - Melissa!

Name: Melissa Bosdorf

Position: Gallery Secretary

How long have you worked at the Dixon? 
I’m in my 7th year here.

 

The best thing about living in Memphis is……

I love a lot of things about Memphis: The people are warm and friendly, the River, Beale Street, the beautiful trees and plants that grow here, but mostly because it’s my home town.  I grew up here, and have long-time friends here…It’s my home.

 

What famous artist (deceased or living) would you want to be for one day and why? 

Hard to say…first I thought Van Gogh, but he was a bit nutso.  I adore Claude Monet’s work; guess I’d have to say him.  He put such thought and work into his paintings.  I’d love to have that much dedication.

 

How old were you on your first visit to a museum (art, science history)? How did it shape your interest in museums? 

I was about 6 or 7 when mom and dad took us to the Pink Palace.  I remember going into the room where they had all the taxidermied animal heads and the big polar bear, I was in awe of all of it.  The bug collection kind of creeped me out, but I loved going through all the exhibits.  I thought that must be the biggest, most beautiful house anyone ever built!  It gave me an appreciation for older things.

 

Do you have any pets? If so, what are they and what are their names? 

I don’t have any pets now.  We had a dog named Spooky, part German shepherd, part English shepherd, part Collie.  He was so friendly that I used to kid that if we ever had burglars, he would take his football to the window and want to play.

 

What was your favorite piece in Jean-Louis Forain: La Comédie parisienne?

I love both of the mosaics.  They are so colorful and I love the movement.

 

What do you like most about working at the Dixon? 

I think that we’re all part of something that benefits the entire community, young and old, and enriches all of our lives.  Also, I love coming to work in the spring.  I drive a little slower and enjoy the daffodils and all the other plants coming to life for the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment